If you are new to the topic of divorce and are about to experience it first-hand or suspect it is something that may happen down the road, you might be worried about the unexpected. You may have fears regarding the process and what it means for you and/or your children.
It is important to know that this feeling of worry is normal. It’s common to feel uncertain about what may happen. What are the steps I have to take to divorce my spouse? What types of things will my spouse and I need to agree on for the divorce to be final? Below you’ll find information to help give you an idea of what to expect in a divorce so you can feel more prepared if and when the time comes.
If you and/or your spouse are ready for a divorce, you might wonder what the process will involve. The steps below can give you an idea of what the divorce process is like in Pennsylvania:
- File for divorce (known as the “Complaint”).
- Wait the time period required so that your spouse has the opportunity to respond.
- Provide required documentation based on your specific divorce issues.
- Attempt to resolve all issues by agreement or settlement.
- Participate in a hearing with a Divorce Master in the event no settlement can be reached.
- Exceptions to the Judge if either side is unsatisfied with the decision of the Divorce Master.
- Appeal the Judge’s decision to the Superior Court if there is an error of law of some other recognizable mistake.
- Entry of a decree in divorce.
What Needs Agreed Upon
There are many aspects of a divorce that need agreed upon – from deciding who gets the house to agreeing on support or the division of the estate – in addition to many other items in between. Here are some of the categories that will need addressed and resolved:
- Divide marital property
- Distribute marital debt
- Negotiate spousal support
- Decide child custody and visitation (if applicable)
- Agree on next steps with a family business or medical practice
The topic of divorce can be daunting, but it’s comforting to know there are experienced professionals to help you every step of the way. Our lawyers have the experience to advise you on which course will resolve your divorce in the best manner possible, always in accord with the outcomes most important to you.
Wilder Mahood McKinley & Oglesby is one of the oldest firms in Pittsburgh focusing on family law issues. Our firm has prepared the leading treatise on family law across the state of Pennsylvania. Accordingly, we have the experience to address the issues and concerns you will have regarding divorce. To consult with a Pittsburgh divorce attorney about your options in a divorce, contact us online or call 412-261-4040.
FAMILY LAW SERVICES
Prenuptial & Postnuptial Agreements