Divorce is an emotionally challenging and life-altering process. It marks the end of a chapter and paves the way for a new beginning. However, amidst the emotional turmoil, it is crucial to understand the practical steps involved in filing for divorce.
Whether someone is considering taking this monumental step or has already made the decision, having a clear roadmap can provide the guidance needed to navigate the complexities of the legal system. Below is a list of the essential steps to take when filing for divorce:
- Find a Trusted Divorce Attorney – Due to the complexity and uniqueness of each divorce, it is always recommended to consult with a knowledgeable divorce attorney who specializes in family law for specific guidance on one’s divorce case.
- Ensure Residency Requirements Are Met – Each state has its own set of rules around residency requirements when it comes to divorce. In Pennsylvania, the couple must have resided in the state for at least six months before being eligible to file for divorce.
- Gather Necessary Information – Collect and assemble important documents related to the marriage, including account statements, tax returns, financial records, property deeds, and any prenuptial or postnuptial agreements that may have been executed. These documents will be needed during the divorce process.
RELATED: Be prepared for these issues before divorce.
- Prepare and File the Divorce Petition – The next step is to prepare a complaint in divorce. This is a legal document that initiates the divorce process and outlines the claims and relief being sought, including divorce, equitable distribution of assets and liabilities, equitable relief, and legal fees and expenses. Once the complaint is prepared, it needs to be filed with the appropriate filing office of the county where the spouse or spouses reside.
- Serve the Divorce Papers & Move forward With the Process – After filing, one must serve a copy of the divorce complaint on their spouse. This can be done through personal service by an individual authorized by the Rules of Civil Procedure for service or through mail if the other spouse or the other’s spouse’s attorney is willing to execute an Acceptance of Service form acknowledging receipt of the complaint. After service of the complaint, the parties can move forward with their respective claims, including with settlement discussions to resolve economic issues or through the court process of litigation as to such claims, until a final resolution is reached.
- Attend Hearings or Meetings – This step of the divorce can differ based on the process chosen for divorce—such as with the traditional divorce process which may involve going to court, or mediation and collaborative law which involve meetings with one’s spouse in a supportive environment. If both parties agree on the terms of the divorce, one can then negotiate a settlement agreement. If there are disagreements, additional mediation or court hearings may be necessary to resolve issues such as property division, child custody, and spousal support.
- Finalize the Divorce – Once all the issues are resolved, a final divorce decree can be issued by the court. This document legally terminates the marriage. Learn more about divorce decrees.
While the information provided here offers a general understanding of the divorce process, it is important to consult with a knowledgeable family law attorney who can provide personalized guidance based on one’s unique circumstances. Their expertise will help protect one’s rights and ensure that they make well-informed decisions regarding child custody, asset division, and other important aspects of their divorce.
Are you approaching a divorce and need someone to help guide you through the steps to protect yourself and your family’s future? If so, our attorneys who are well-versed in all family law matters can help. Contact us now to set up a consultation however it is most convenient for you—via telephone, video, or in person.
FAMILY LAW SERVICES
Prenuptial & Postnuptial Agreements
Mediation in Divorce Matters
Collaborative Law Services