In the Pittsburgh area, there are many divorce attorneys to choose from, but which one is the best divorce attorney? Which one is right for you? Remember this important fact – The decisions you make as you begin the divorce process and the settlement you receive upon your divorce will affect the future course of your life. The right divorce attorney can help you make wise decisions and serve as your strong advocate in court and in settlement negotiations.
Spend some time on the phone or in person with the potential divorce attorney. You should have the opportunity to explain your particular situation, ask questions and outline your goals. Several factors will affect the outcome of your divorce. Legal advice is among the most critical. Think of your divorce attorney as your advocate, your trusted advisor, your negotiator and your guide through the divorce process. You are hiring an attorney to lead you through a life-changing event, and it is important that you feel comfortable with your choice.
Specific questions you might want to consider asking a divorce attorney before making a selection are as follows:
- How much experience do you have handling divorces?
- Have you previously handled cases similar to mine?
- Do you handle child custody cases? (if applicable)
- Do you have any other specialized experience that’s relevant to my case?
- Realistically, what kind of settlement can I expect?
- How much do you charge, how frequently will you bill me and when will payment be due?
- What other kinds of fees, costs and expenses will I have to pay?
- Will you personally handle my divorce negotiations?
- Will you be my day-to-day contact or will I mainly be working with another attorney on your staff?
- How would you describe your personality as a lawyer?
- What potential problems or obstacles do you see that could cause delays or affect the outcome of my case?
- Do you have the time to handle my case?
- What other lawyers or experts will be working on my case and what work will they be doing?
The law firm of Wilder, Mahood, McKinley & Oglesby can provide answers to these questions. The decision to hire a divorce attorney is a personal one. You will want to trust your divorce attorney, feel comfortable taking your divorce attorney’s legal advice and agree with the attorney’s philosophy and style.
To consult with a Pittsburgh divorce attorney about your options in a divorce, contact us online or by calling 412-261-4040. We represent business and professional clients with family legal concerns across western Pennsylvania.